Friday, September 5, 2014

Blog Post 3

stay positive picture
Peer editing is a great way to improve your writing skills, as well as helping someone else improve theirs. Your peers are people that are the same age as you, and the people that are on a learning journey with you. After looking at What is Peer Editing? and Peer Edit With Perfection Tutorial, I was refreshed on how to properly edit my peers' work. I know that I need to always stay positive when giving criticism, and remember to give compliments to the post they have created. It is very awkward and sometimes intimidating to edit someone else's work. A person has to be confident enough to know where corrections are needed and not needed. It seems that it has to be equally awkward for the person receiving the criticism. I really enjoyed this information. It is something that every teacher and student should not only know, but practice as well.



picture of two kids working together
The very funny, and my favorite video, Writing Peer Review Top Ten Mistakes demonstrates to us how NOT to act when giving or receiving constructive criticism. No one wants to deal with a "Pushy Paula" or a "Picky Patty". When it comes to editing someone else's work there is a right and wrong way to do it. I loved that the children gave the message in this video. I believe that the video was as interesting as it was because the children were the ones acting, and playing out scenes of different situations. I'm sure the video was also a very good way of teaching this lesson and making it stick with the children long term because they had so much fun participating in it. As a future educator, I really enjoyed all of these videos. They were very informal and entertaining, something I really needed to remind me of the proper way to edit.

4 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just remember that as teachers, we will have plenty of parents ready and willing to "peer review" us, so now is a good time to start reviewing each other. I would rather have you correct me now, than a student or one of the parents correct me later.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thoughtful. Interesting. And Eric's comment is a fascinating one which I had not thought of!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think you are right about it being intimidating to review and edit someone else's work. If it is something you are not good at then you are going to hate it and you might hurt the person instead of help them. For example, one time I had this class where we got to look over each other's paper to find mistakes and that sort of thing before we had to turn in the final copy. Well there was a few things the teacher said to make sure the paper had we were looking over. I knew I had forgotten to put something but the person that was editing mine said it was perfect and I didn't need to change anything. However, that was not the case in my situation. There has been many other times where I have gotten great criticism/ editing on my work; which I am thankful for.

    ReplyDelete